GEORGE C. YANDA
Longtime area architect
A memorial service is scheduled Jan. 13 at 2 p.m. at Valley Lutheran Church, 87 E. Orange St., Chagrin Falls, for George Charles Yanda, 81, formerly of Aurora, who died Dec. 31, 2012.
Born Aug. 14, 1931 to George J. and Lydia C. (Krumroy) Yanda, he attended East Tech High School and Carnegie Institute of Technology (later Carnegie Mellon University), where he studied architecture and received his degree.
He married Anna Marie Voigt in 1955, and upon his discharge from the U.S. Army, the couple settled in Cleveland Heights, and later lived in Hunting Valley, Aurora and Westlake.
His architectural career spanned 60 years, with projects including the CSU Convocation Center, Cleveland MRI building and structures at Stanford University and Walter Reid Hospital.
After retiring from the URS Corp., he assisted many organizations and individuals with homes, renovations and other projects, and particularly enjoyed designing churches in northern Ohio and southern Michigan.
He was a strong supporter of the American Institute of Architects and earned emeritus status in 2010.
He was involved with the Kiwanis Club, Gethsemane Lutheran Church in Cleveland Heights, Valley Lutheran in Chagrin Falls and the Lutheran Home at Concord Reserve in Westlake.
The family asks that memorials be directed to Valley Lutheran, the Lutheran Homer at 2116 Dover Center Road, Westlake 44145 or Aurora Kiwanis Foundation, 719 Cross Creek Oval, Aurora 44202.