Aurora grass fire is put out

From Staff reports Published:

Local firefighters extinguished a small grass fire April 10 at about 3 p.m. on the east side of Sunny Lake near the walking path, said Fire Chief David Barnes.

There were no injuries and no damage, he said. Three hollow tree trunks burned, along with some dead grass, Barnes said, adding since fire trucks couldn't get to that area, water was carried by hand.

Firefighters stayed until about 5 p.m. to make sure the fire was under control.

Barnes said the fire was most likely caused by a discarded cigarette butt, although he said that is not certain. He reminded people not to throw lit cigarette butts on the ground.

Want to leave your comments?

Sign in or Register to comment.